Amid calls from Malaysia’s Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim to secure 40 Starlink Satellite broadband kits for educational institutions nationwide, an official announcement has confirmed Starlink’s receipt of the Network Facility and Service Provider (NFP/NSP) license.
Fahmi Fadzil, the Malaysian Minister of Communications and Digital, revealed in a string of Twitter posts that he met with a Starlink representative to hand over the said license documents. This development, Fadzil highlights, will facilitate Starlink’s mission of providing comprehensive internet access to Malaysians, with particular emphasis on residents of remote rural regions.
While a majority, specifically 97 per cent, of populated areas in Malaysia can access the internet, topographical impediments create logistical issues that limit connectivity for the remaining 3 per cent. Consequently, the government is geared to collaborate with satellite internet providers like Starlink to aim for total internet accessibility.
Moreover, Fadzil envisions Starlink focusing on schools and tertiary institutions as a priority when they commence their operations in Malaysia.
Starlink, a subsidiary of Elon Musk’s SpaceX, utilizes low earth orbit (LEO) satellites to deliver high-speed broadband with reduced latency compared to conventional satellite broadband services. It has a strong global presence, operating in over 40 countries and boasting over a million active subscribers worldwide.
However, Starlink’s Malaysian operations were on hold pending licenses from MCMC, a condition that, according to Fadzil, has been fulfilled. Yet, their name is not listed on the MCMC individual licenses register. Moreover, neither Fadzil nor the MCMC has disclosed any specific operational conditions Starlink must meet in Malaysia, considering existing foreign investment limitations. Additional clarification from MCMC on this matter is expected soon.
This news is based on an article published by malaymail.com.