Kuala Lumpur, September 7, 2023 – In a significant development for Malaysia Airlines, the airline’s Global Marketing Head, Waikuan Wong, has resigned from her position, bringing an end to her pivotal role in shaping the airline’s brand image. Wong, who has been associated with Malaysia Airlines since 2019, played a crucial role in charting the airline’s course through turbulent times, including the COVID-19 pandemic.
Wong’s responsibilities included overseeing strategic branding, global marketing, alliance partnerships, eCommerce initiatives, and content management for Malaysia Airlines. During her tenure, she led the charge in promoting and strengthening the airline’s brand position while establishing vital alliances and strategic partnerships.
- Resignation of Waikuan Wong: Malaysia Airlines’ Global Marketing Head, Waikuan Wong, has resigned from her position after serving with the airline since 2019.
- Memorable Tenure: Wong reflected on her four years with Malaysia Airlines, citing memorable moments that ranged from the peak of business in 2019 to the challenges brought on by the pandemic in 2020 and the subsequent recovery as borders reopened in 2021 and 2022.
- Pandemic Resilience: During the lockdowns, Wong and her team worked diligently with internal and external stakeholders to navigate the unprecedented challenges posed by the pandemic, ensuring that the airline continued to meet its business objectives.
- Strategic Initiatives: Wong oversaw several key projects, including notable marketing campaigns like “Dream Today, Travel Tomorrow” and the creation of Malaysia Airlines’ new safety video.
- Quick Response: As international borders reopened, Malaysia Airlines swiftly implemented strategies to position itself as the preferred airline for travelers.
- Business Re-organization: Wong also shared insights into the airline’s business re-organization in 2023, highlighting her role in projects involving Firefly and MASwings.
- Vast Experience: With over 20 years of experience in branding and marketing, Wong’s career spans various industries, including leisure and tourism, banking, and FMCG.
- Leadership Transition: Earlier this year, Malaysia Airlines appointed Dersenish Aresandiran as its new Chief Commercial Officer, marking another key leadership change within the airline.
Dersenish Aresandiran, who took on his role as Chief Commercial Officer in July 2023, brings extensive experience from his previous tenure with Malaysia Airlines, further reinforcing the airline’s commitment to navigating the evolving landscape of the Asia Pacific aviation industry.
Wong’s departure and Aresandiran’s appointment come at a crucial juncture for Malaysia Airlines, as the airline continues to adapt to changing market dynamics and seeks to maintain its position as a prominent player in the region’s aviation sector.
As Malaysia Airlines embarks on this leadership transition, it underscores the resilience and adaptability required in the face of economic and geopolitical challenges in the Asia Pacific region.