Based on extensive data from SocialPeta, it has compiled the TOP 20 rankings for global mobile applications (non-games) in June 2023. This aims to assist in understanding the trends in the global mobile market.
An overview of the overall performance of global applications in June includes the following key points:
- The popularity of mature-rated romance novels remains high, with two web novel apps entering the TOP 20 ad spending list.
- Coloring and stress-relief app “Colorfy” experiences a resurgence, with downloads surging fivefold.
- Users are more willing to invest in health management, leading to revenue growth for “Fitbit” with its comprehensive health services.
- The introduction of new network optimization apps continues, proving that the strategy of acquiring growth through user acquisition remains effective.
Global Mobile Apps (non-gaming) Advertising TOP20丨June 2023
The June rankings have finally brought some fresh changes – there are two new web novel reading apps entering the Advertising TOP 20 list on iOS. Among them, “NovelOasis” had a higher increase in ranking and ad spending, with a remarkable month-on-month growth of 53%, surpassing “EasyNovel.” The “NovelOasis” app was launched in November 2022, and since April this year, its ad spending on both platforms has been steadily increasing, showing a continuous upward trend.
According to SocialPeta, the ad spending details for “NovelOasis” in June are as follows:
- The app targeted as many as 62 regions, with an addition of 4 regions this month. Among them, the United States accounts for a slightly higher proportion but is still only at 4%.
- Major advertising channels include FB News Feed, Messenger, Audience Network, and Instagram, each accounting for around 25% of the ad spending.
- Popular ad creatives often feature clickable titles of novels with excerpts from the content.
- Images comprise approximately 34% of the ad materials, while videos account for around 66%. Among the popular materials, videos predominate, showcasing the portrayal of novel plots. These videos include real actors, picture slideshows, and comic-style animations.
In June, the iOS ad spending for “Unimeal,” a personalized weight loss plan and health diet advice provider, experienced a remarkable increase of 130%. The intensified ad spending was geared towards promoting the new features introduced in June, with the selling points being the ability to preview meal plans and adjust plan dates. The advertising strategy aligned with the promotion of these new features. According to SocialPeta, the ad spending details for “Unimeal” in June are as follows:
- The app expanded its ad to 57 new regions, resulting in a total of 63 targeted regions. The primary focus was on the European and American markets, with the material quantity slightly higher for European and American countries, each accounting for around 3%.
- In terms of the top 20 languages, besides English as the main language, French, German, Italian, and others also had a significant presence, collectively representing 30% of the total material quantity in English.
- Among the top 100 high-frequency words, “start,” “plan,” and “test” appeared prominently, indicating an overall advertising approach that encourages users to begin trying out the service and emphasizes personalized testing.
- The majority of the ad creatives consisted of images, accounting for about 70%. Popular creatives often revolved around the theme of “xx challenge,” providing plans to help users complete the challenges, such as the “sugar-free challenge,” which offered tailored sugar-free meal plans for different age groups, giving users a sense of thoughtful care.
The 2022-2023 NBA season kicked off in early June, and the online store specializing in sports equipment, “Fanatics,” boosted its ad spending by 73% to cater to the surging shopping enthusiasm of basketball fans. According to SocialPeta, the ad spending details for “Fanatics” in June are as follows:
- The app targeted as many as 64 regions, with the United States accounting for nearly 53% of the ad spending, indicating a clear and specific target market.
- The main advertising focus was on sports and arcade-type media, accumulating to nearly 50% of the total.
- The primary advertising channels were Instagram and FB News Feed, with each accounting for approximately 33%.
- Almost all the ad creatives consisted of images, representing over 96%. Popular creatives mostly featured sports apparel and accessories showcased on a white background, similar to the typical promotional approach used by conventional shopping apps.
Global Mobile Apps (non-gaming) Revenue TOP20
In the TOP 20 revenue rankings, both app stores have no new apps, so let’s shift our focus to the promising apps that didn’t make it to the list this time.
- App Store
For the App Store:
- The health management app “Fitbit” achieved a significant revenue increase of 20% in June, thanks to its comprehensive range of paid features, including exercise classes, sleep improvement, stress management, and diet plans.
The music streaming service “LINE MUSIC” experienced revenue growth of approximately 11% compared to the previous month. Despite a decline in downloads of about 22%, the app managed to increase its revenue due to the continued spending power of its loyal user base.
- Google Play
The app “Komoot,” which offers services related to hiking, cycling, and running, introduced the “Route Customization” feature in early June. This new feature received great user recognition and contributed to a 25% revenue increase in June. The main revenue contribution came from Germany, accounting for over 40%, followed by India, accounting for approximately 10%.
The short video social app “Likee” is highly popular among users in Arab countries. In June, it experienced revenue growth of 10%. Saudi Arabia was the largest revenue contributor, accounting for over 38%, followed by Pakistan, contributing about 14%.
Global Mobile Apps (non-gaming) Download TOP20丨June 2023
In the App Store, some apps have shown remarkable growth in downloads:
- “ChatGPT,” which was introduced in May, has maintained its popularity and experienced a significant increase of 272% in downloads in June, securing the 4th position on the rankings. Apart from the 61% of downloads from the United States, it also received contributions of 3%-5% of downloads from regions like Germany, Japan, France, and Brazil.
The video streaming service “Amazon Prime Video” introduced several new series in June, leading to a 25% increase in downloads. The United States was the largest contributor, accounting for over 33% of the downloads, followed by Japan at 20%.
In Google Play, some apps that didn’t make it to the TOP 20 but showed significant download growth are:
The coloring and relaxation app “Colorfy” was repeatedly voted as one of the best adult coloring apps in June. Its unique advantage is the built-in community where users can share their artwork. This positive word-of-mouth contributed to an impressive 508% increase in downloads. India was the main source of users, accounting for 30%, followed by Pakistan and Brazil, each contributing around 9%.
In June, the mobile acceleration app “Rapid Cleaner” experienced a remarkable download growth of 318%. The majority of downloads came from users in Nigeria, accounting for over 34% of the total, followed by India, contributing over 27% of the downloads.
The above is the global non-game app advertising, revenue & downloads analysis on the App Store and Google Play for June 2023. SocialPeta released the “2023 Q2 Global Mobile Gaming Marketing Trends Insight Report. This report will deeply analyze the competitive situation of the mobile gaming market, and explore key factors and best practices in market marketing. Through in-depth research on market trends, it will reveal the key elements for achieving success in this challenging and opportunistic mobile gaming market. Click here to download the full report for free, and get more mobile industry insights in 2023.